Sunday, September 2, 2007

Exploring Florence


Today Tuesday, the guests have free time to explore the city which equals free time for Giovanna to explore Firenze as well! Mr. Purpuro gave me directions to the Mercato di San Lorenzo which is a HUGE open air market with vendors selling leather and paper goods, scarves, silks, jewelry, and clothing-- everything you could imagine! Rosanne, you definitely were here I think when you visited Italy. At the market I met Claudio who wanted me to buy some of his leather. He asked me if I spoke Italian and I said not too much. He was extremely friendly and he was patient with me as I worked through answering his questions in Italian—you know the basics, where are you from, first time to Italy, etc. He was impressed with my conversational Italian. In the end I didn't buy anything from him but we parted ways amicably. Piacere-- pleased to meet you in Italian. It gave me confidence to go to a vendor later on a buy a souvenir.

Also at the market is an old train station which on the inside has been converted to a great produce, fresh meat, market. It was so interesting to see people going to buy their groceries for the week. All the food is put out in baskets and it looks so unbelievably colorful and fresh. I purchased some dried fruit by the gram to snack on during my walk. There are also little bars inside where you can get your cappuccino and cornetto for breakfast.

So later today Mr. Purpuro and I are going on a private tour of the Uffizi Gallery-- the large and famous art gallery in Florence. None of the guests signed up so we're going to take advantage of it.

I'm having a wonderful time. I can't believe only two days left!

Miss you all and see you soon!

Gio

No comments: