Sunday, September 16, 2007

Siena Update


I’ve settled a bit more into Siena. My apartment is having internet issues—as in we don’t have any access—so I have a sense of being a bit disconnected from the rest of the world right now. But besides that I am feeling more at home in my new city. I don’t get as lost anymore, I know where to get the best gelato, and I’ve figured out how to navigate the Italian supermarket.

The weather has been great so far. Most days it is warm and sunny in the 70s with beautiful blue skies-- perfect weather to sit and sun yourself in the Campo. Occasionally short rain showers will bring in a cold spell. However this presents a small taste of autumn, whose full arrival I am anxiously awaiting. The tourists will clear out and I’ll have Siena to myself. Well, not quite since the Italian and international students will be arriving, but the city will nonetheless quiet down.

My sense of time is twisted in knots. I feel as if I’ve been in Siena for a long time, particularly because the days go by so fast. But in reality, two weeks is miniscule when put into the perspective of the four months I’ll be staying. And at the same time the weeks fly by filled with Italian language class and many field trips organized by IES.

On Monday was our visit to Contrada Onda.

Tuesday, we visited a small town called Poggibonsi where after an exhausting uphill hike we toured an archaeological dig site where students were unearthing 5th & 6th century ruins.

Every Wednesday is market day. Unlike Florence’s more upscale market with tourist booths selling identical wares, in Siena the market is more of a flea market where, for very good prices, you can buy everything from bed linens to an infomercial-type slicer and dicer. I love buying frutta e verdura here. The fresh produce tastes wonderful at unbelievable prices. I bought two eggplants (melanzane) and some plums (susine) for a combined total of 1, 65 euro.

Thursday we drove to the small Tuscan hill town of Montalcino for a wine tasting at a small vineyard called Abbadia Ardegna. A sweet old couple gave us a tour of their family’s long running vineyard. The older gentleman reminded me of my Pop-Pop in his tweed jacket and sun hat, and from the way he shuffled around, patted us on the back, and looked so proud sitting at the head of the table.

These experiences have been wonderful and there is so much to look forward to. The end of this week will be our first IES sponsored trip to Bologna!

Ciao tutti! I miss you all very much.

Gio

No comments: