Sunday, September 2, 2007

Firenze

Buona Domenica -- Good Sunday in exact translation. I actually used my Italian today to speak with a vendor. I bought some maps. "Ho bisogno di otto per un grande group di touristi" "I need 8 for a big group of tourists". I felt cool. I also got some breakfast. Cappuccino, the guidebooks tell me, is what the Italians will have for breakfast although when I ordered "al bar" I think they knew I was a tourist. Later I got "un cafe". I’m not sure what is custom to put in my espresso and I didn’t want to offend the barista. Let’s just say it definitely woke me up at 4am US time. I think I’ll stick with the cappuccino. I also learned the hard way that you have to order your pastry at a separate counter from your coffee or they’ll charge you for it and then not give it to you. I’m learning and hopefully will get it right tomorrow.

All of the hotel managers start speaking to me in Italian when they meet me for the first time I think because they see my name and think I’m from here. They speak English very well but its funny. I hate to disappoint them.

It is just a few hours before the tour group arrives. Everything is finished so I’ll probably grab some pranzo "lunch" and then double check the rooms to make sure they are perfetto.

Still miss you guys a lot. Its great roaming the streets of Firenze day and night, but its not as fun doing it alone.

Ciao

Gio

No comments: